Monday, February 7, 2011

Music Monday--Challenge Week #6

I have one CD to review this week. I can't remember why I bought the CD, but it was an early CD purchase (I used to have a massive record collection).  I love this CD, and I often forget how nice it is.  I haven't seen every movie, but this CD contains some rare gems.

The CD begins with True Love by Bing Crosby and Grace Kelly.  This was from the film High Society, and it was Grace Kelly's final film before becoming a princess.  The movie features duets by Louis Armstrong/Bing Crosby and Frank Sinatra/Bing Crosby.  It is a great film with fantastic Cole Porter music.

Next is For Me and My Gal with Judy Garland and Gene Kelly.  Oh, this film is so worth watching--classic to the core, and a sweet story with great songs to match.  Gene Kelly's first film.

I don't know much about  I Know that You Know.  But Breezin' Along With the Breeze with Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz is a real gem!  It comes from The Long, Long Trailer film which is classic Lucy and Desi.  Check that film out if you have not.  This is a perfect song for them!

Make Believe from one of the most romantic films ever--Showboat.  This is not the best film version of it, but it stars Howard Keel and Kathryn Grayson.  They simply take my breath away!

Nevertheless I'm in Love With You is fine, but Stranger in Paradise from Kismet is simply gorgeous!  Vic Damone and Ann Blyth truly capture this absolutely gorgeous song!  I have seen the film, but it is absolutely nothing to watch.  The music is unbelievable!

Best Things in Life Are Free is nothing great, but Be My Love with Mario Lanza and Kathryn Grayson is worth a listen!  Again, Ain't Nature Grand is just a little ditty from and Esther Williams film.

I will spend a moment on They Say It's Wonderful from Annie Get Your Gun.  This recording features Howard Keel and Judy Garland.  She was the original actress for this film, but due to her drug use, MGM let her go, and Betty Hutton replaced her.  I have seen the film with Betty Hutton, and she fit the role well.  She is more like Ethel Merman.  Judy Garland just doesn't fit the role.  And she and Howard Keel don't fit well together.  But it's still nice to hear.

Cabin in the Sky is a nice step into the past.  You  get to hear Rochester sing--yes the one of Jack Benny fame.  He sing with Ethel Waters.  This is not  a fantastic song, but it is fun to listen to.

I love Imagine with Debbie  Reynolds and  Vic Damone!  It is a very cute song, and Debbie Reynolds sells it!  Mr. and Mrs. is nice with Rosemary Clooney and Jose Ferrer.  And again So In Love with Howard Keel and Kathryn Grayson is from the fantastic film Kiss Me Kate.  If you have not seen this and you are a fan of musicals, look it up!  They are fantastic together!!

An interesting track is I Can't Believe That You're in Love With Me.  Connie Francis and Danny Thomas--what an intriguing combo.  It makes me want to see the film--that you probably can't even get!!

One Kiss/Lover Come Back to Me is nice, and the ending is You Are My Lucky Star from Singin' in the Rain.  The disappointment here is that you hear Gene Kelly, but they dubbed Debbie Reynolds.

And we come to the end.  So, what video to post. Oh that's tough!  Well,  here goes.  I think you'll like both of these.  They are two of my favorites.



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Your Ad Here