Friday, January 21, 2011

Fortified Friday--My Own Recipe For Chicken Noodle Soup

If you know anything about me, you would learn that I am one of those people who loves recipes.  I love to find new recipes and try them.  I don't always follow them to a tee, but I get pretty close.  I do not like to do cooking experiments.  I do much better when I have a guide.

Over the past year or two, Martin has been the one to challenge me in this area.  He only uses recipes for difficult things.  For regular meals, he does it all  in his head.  He also doesn't do a lot of varied things, but you know that what he makes will be good.

Yesterday, I got home in enough time to cook dinner.  I had planned on making the chicken with gourmet sauce recipe (I'm too lazy to post the link, but those are the only ingredients).  When I asked my mom and Martin, they said they wanted chicken noodle soup.  I inwardly groaned.  I did not want to have to make this, and I knew it would be a lot of work.  But they had worked hard and still had more work to do.  So I agreed.

I am going to explain the process--there is not a real recipe, but I will try to organize it all at the end.

I cut up the chicken breasts--I used 3.  It was hard to cut it up since it was raw.  I cut it up in the smallest pieces I could.  I threw it in a pan with some oil, garlic powder, salt, pepper, semi-fresh chives, and semi-fresh parsley.  I cut up two carrots into fairly small pieces and threw that in the pot as well.  I decided that some frozen corn and peas would be pretty good as well.  I also had some frozen chopped onions--I love those!

Once this was all cooked--the chicken was completely cooked--I added 2 cans of chicken broth.  My mom was sure we had more chicken broth--no, we didn't.  So I also added a can of Healthy Choice Chicken and Rice.  I then added about half a bag of pasta--so 8 ounces, I guess.  We add to add some more water as those cooked.

I cooked all this on the stove for about 30 minutes.  I think it would be really good in the crockpot.  I think you could add any vegetables you wanted to.  Add any spices you want.  You could use rice, pasta, quinoa--use what you have.

My mom said the soup was so good that I had to share it on my blog.  So I am doing that.  Sorry I don't have any pictures, but it was good!

So here is my recipe for chicken noodle soup:

3 chicken breasts, cut up small
salt/pepper
garlic powder/salt
chives and parsley (I use freeze-dried versions of these you can find with the fresh herbs.)

Put all of that in a pan on the stove with some olive oil.  Cook it until the chicken is no longer pink.  Add cut-up carrots, frozen corn, frozen peas, cut-up onions--any veggies you fancy.  Soften the vegetables for a couple minutes.  Add about 3-5 cans of chicken broth.  Add about 8 ounces of pasta, rice, or whatever you fancy.  Let it boil on the stove for at least 30 minutes, or  cook it in a crockpot.  Make sure to watch the liquid levels.  Serve with Bisquick biscuits.   Serves about 6, I would say.

1 comment:

  1. Oh how i WISH I liked Chicken Noodle Soup...
    But - your soup does sound nice.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Your Ad Here