Monday, June 20, 2011

Music Monday--I Know It's Been A While!

I have several music reviews saved up, and I can finally get caught up as the summer is basically here.  Watch for double reviews in the weeks ahead--maybe even triple reviews!  But onto tonight.

I have been a Sara Evans fan almost from the first moment I heard her sing.  It was Martin (my English friend) who first introduced her music to me.  Sadly, she has some serious marital issues, and she stepped out of the limelight for quite some time.  Not as long as Shania Twain, but for a couple of years, I think.  I was so glad to hear that she was making a new album.

That is until I heard her first single and saw the accompanying video.  I found her performance mediocre.  The single was Stronger.  While a fine song, it just didn't seem to match her voice.  She sounded fine, but I had gotten used to her singing songs that were of a different caliber.

Well, I decided to give her album a chance.  I picked it up at our local library, and I put it in my CD player.  The first song, Desperately, showed quite a bit of promise.  I think I could see where it would make a pretty good single.  I almost felt like I was listening to her old stuff.

The next song was Stronger.  Although I have kind of gotten used to the song, I still don't really care for her version.  It was written in part by Hillary Scott of Lady Antebellum fame, and I think if they had recorded it, I may have liked it better.

After that, there is not another song worth mentioning until you get to the last song--the bluegrass version of Born to Fly.  Of course, that was a big hit already for her, and this version just reminds of how good she is and what she does best.  I just wish that the rest of her album would have lived up to the first and last songs.

I am not going to post a video from this album because I haven't found any that I like.  However, I am happy to post the first song I ever heard of Sara Evans.  Enjoy!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Your Ad Here