Thursday, May 19, 2011

Thoughtful Thursday--Turner Classic Movies Review

I guess I am just beginning to realize how much I may not have told my readers.  There are so many interests in my life, and sometimes I forget that you do not know me as well as I might think.  And I have a love of something that goes right along with tonight's review--classic films. In fact, as I write this, I have on my favorite station for classic films.
Turner Classic Movies

For as long as I can remember, I have loved old movies--especially musicals.  I think my first experience with old movies was The Wizard of Oz.  And then I followed this up with The Sound of Music, My Fair Lady, Singin' in the Rain, and the list goes on and on.  I used to read books on famous movie stars of the golden era:  Judy Garland, Bing Crosby, Marilyn Monroe, Gene Kelly, and the list goes on and on again.  I used to know more about the actors and actresses of old Hollywood than any of the people with whom I went to school.  I still remember little facts here and there, but I am not as nearly obsessed.  I also enjoy watching classic films that are not musicals.  I love James Stewart, Cary Grant, Katherine Hepburn, and again, the list goes on and on.

The problem I have had till now is that Turner Classic Films shows movies at odd times that do not figure into my schedule.   Recently, our family got a DVR, and that has certainly solved some problems.  I can record things during the day, and see some of the films I have never seen and see some old favorites.  Like tonight, we watched National Velvet.  I had not seen it in years, and it was so good!  With the recent death of Elizabeth Taylor, it was neat to see, but Angela Lansbury and Mickey Rooney are still alive!  Good gracious!

In addition to a fantastic channel, it is worth your while to check out http://www.tcm.com/.  On their site, you can watch videos, play games, learn about your favorite stars, and see their movie schedule.  It is kind of scary to be nearly 36 and know more about movies from well before my time than the time during which I grew up.  I often tell people that I am just now discovering the 1980's because I didn't pay any attention to that era as I was growing up.  

So if you fancy going back in time to a simpler time, be sure to check out TCM!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Your Ad Here