Monday, May 2, 2011

Two Stories That Have Personally Affected Me

Well, I think I need to do a quick post here about two stories separated by many years that have affected me greatly as a teacher.

The first happened several years ago.  I was still a fairly young teacher.  I think I was in my third year of teaching.  I was living in Fort Worth at the time and teaching at a Christian school.  Actually, I had the student in my third year, but this happened the following year, I think.

There was a girl I had in choir who was a year younger than the other high schoolers.  I didn't know her really well, but she was always sweet and cooperative.  The following year, she was able to go to her mom's school (her mom was a teacher, too).  I will never forget the night when I was at church choir, and they said that there had been a church shooting in a nearby church.  I watched the news like a hawk that night.  It had been a special youth event, and several teens were killed.  I went to bad saddened, but I didn't really think too much about it.

I turned the news on that morning, and when they announced that Kristi Beckel had died, I began to go into hysterics!  I had never lost a student.  I was glad she wasn't my current student, but it was only by the grace of God that I made it through that day.

This morning, I was on the way to work.  and I happened to turn the radio station.  When they announced that University Place was mourning the loss of an assistant principal, I immediately thought of Drum Intermediate where I did a long-term sub job last year.  When they announced Bryan Beale had been killed in a motorcycle accident, I began to cry out in hysterics as I drove down the road!  I couldn't believe it!  He was by far one of the finest administrators with whom I ever worked.  Because of his music background, I could always count on his support in this area, and that is rare amongst administrators.  And yes, indeed, he truly had a rapport with the students, and I knew that all I had to do was pick up the phone and call him if I had trouble in the classroom last year.

It is really strange to realize that I have now had these experiences that I never would have had if I had not been a teacher.  It's actually worse now because I am subbing in 10 districts, and whenever they mention something happening at a nearby school, I know that it may mean that I will know the student or staff member involved.

I was reminded yet again this morning how quickly things can change in this life.  I am sure Bryan never imagined that Saturday's morning motorcycle ride would be his last just like Kristi never dreamed that church service would be her last.  It reminds me yet again to make the most of every moment we have in this life.  And there are worse things than having the man you love leave for six months like Martin will tomorrow.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Your Ad Here