Friday, July 1, 2011

Free-Wheeling Friday--My Music




Well, at  the top of this post, you will find a video of me singing.  The song is called In Heaven's Eyes.  Seriously, I was planning to sing our national anthem, but God led me in a different direction.  The sound is not the greatest, and I think my video camera is somewhat out of synchronization with the sound, but you can at least get the idea.

I shared this so you would know something more about me.  I am keeping my word concerning sharing a little about me every week.  And music is something very important.  Here is a brief history of my music career.

When I was very young, I took ballet, and I hated it.  As I entered second grade, my mom gave me a choice--ballet or piano.  I leaped at the chance to do something different.  And I loved piano.  I took it consecutively for 6 years.  My only trouble was that I have small fingers.  I can barely reach an octave, but I did fairly well.  I am so glad I had this early musical training.

In seventh grade or so, God called me to a music career.  I was enamored with Sandi Patti (that's the way she used to spell her last name).  I sang for many years with no training.  After all, Barbra Streisand needed no training, so why did I?  

As a sophomore in high school, I began voice lessons.  I was so glad I did!  I became classically trained, and as I went off to college, I was far ahead of most of the other music students.  I went on to be a music teacher--teaching everything from band to choir to music history to elementary music.  I could share a lot more in this vein, and I am sure I will, but not at present.

In those teenage years, as I developed my singing voice, I used to practice upstairs in my room.  I have a very powerful soprano voice--in fact my classification would appear to be dramatic soprano--and I can remember the neighbor kids next door mimicking my voice.  It used to bother me, but when I kept singing, they began to ignore me.  That was good.

Every time I sang, I always took it seriously.  No matter what song I was singing, it was a ministry.  In fact, as a teenager, I refused to sing a solo that was secular--even at my public high school.  I also felt that I had to "wow" the crowd almost every time I sang.  I always wanted to demonstrate my full range.  You didn't hear that on this recording, but had I sung the version of the national anthem I was going to, you would have heard it.

The song I shared with you tonight carries quite a message.  I think I will reprint the words here:

A fervent prayer rose up to heaven
A fragile soul was losing ground
Sorting through the earthly babel
Heaven heard the sound
This was a life of no distinction
No successes only tries
But gazing down on this unlovely one
There was love in heaven's eyes

In heaven's eyes there are no losers
In heaven's eyes no hopeless cause
Only people like you with feelings like me
Amazed by the grace we can find
In heaven's eyes

The orphaned child, the wayward father
The homeless traveler in the rain
When life goes by and no one bothers
Heaven feels the pain
Looking down God sees each heartache
Knows each sorrow, hears each cry
And looking up we'll see compassion's fire
Ablaze in heaven's eyes

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Your Ad Here