Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Tropical Traditions Coconut Flour Review

A couple weeks ago, I was sent a tremendous product from Tropical Traditions.  I have been a fan of theirs for quite while and have had the chance to try several of their products.  Their products are fantastic, and I highly recommend them.

The product I chose was organic coconut flour.


Up to this point, I was totally clueless when it came to using coconut flour.  I began researching online for recipes.  I found one right away on this portion of the  Tropical Traditions Website.  I chose the Gluten Free Pumpkin Muffins.  I had some frozen pumpkin that needed to be used up.  And so I followed the recipe.  However, because the pumpkin had extra liquid in it, it took longer to cook and was still very crumbly.  It tasted good--I only made half of the frosting.  We all liked these really well.  I did not take a picture because they didn't look great.  But they tasted really good.

I did some more searching, and I happened upon a recipe for this:
From Drop Box
 This is a pineapple upside down cake.  I modified the recipe based on what I had.  So here is what I did:

Coat the bottom and sides of a round cake pan with cooking spray. Sprinkle about 1/4 cup of brown sugar over the spray.  Using a can of sliced pineapple (8 oz.) place 1 slice in the center of the pan.  Put a maraschino cherry in the middle of it.  Cut the remaining 3 pineapple slices in half and arrange them around the pineapple in the center of the pan.  Put 1 cherry in the center of each pineapple slice.  Place 6 pecan halves around the center pineapple slice.  Pour the batter over the fruit.

Batter
1/4 cup melted coconut oil
1/2 cup Splenda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup coconut flour
4 eggs
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla

Mix together until no lumps remain.

Bake cake for 30-35 minutes at 350 degrees or until knife inserted in center  comes out clean.  Flip cake over onto a heatproof plate.  Let pan remain a minute of two.  Remove pan.  Serve warm with cool whip, if desired.

This is the first time I ever made pineapple upside down cake, and it was fantastic!  I was amazed at just how good it was.  

I wholeheartedly recommend the coconut flour.  We have no allergies in our household, but the flavor of the coconut flour (and the heavenly smell) is enough to make me want to use it more and more!



I suggest you check out Tropical Traditions soon.  Notice the special deal below.  Also, watch out for a giveaway coming within the next couple days!

Tropical Traditions provided me with a free sample of this product to review, and I was under no obligation to review it if I so chose.  Nor was I under any obligation to write a positive review or sponsor a product giveaway in return for the free product.


Special Price! - 1 Organic Coconut Flour - 2.2 lbs.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Your Ad Here