Monday, July 11, 2011

Music Monday--Frank Sinatra and Jackie Evancho

I have two CD's to review tonight.  I have been working very hard in my room, and I have found that I finally have time to listen to CD's.

This is an old favorite of mine.  I have been a fan of Frank Sinatra's since I was a young teenager.  It took me a while to like him, and I don't automatically like all of his recordings, but this is fantastic!

This was young Frank Sinatra, and indeed this album has recordings of some of the finest music ever written--at least in recent times.

He begins crooning Oh What a Beautiful Mornin'.  Need I say any more about that song?  Absolutely perfect for his voice!  And who could resist him when he sings People Will Say We're in Love?  I mean, could you?  And to complete the trio of Oklahoma! songs, he sings Surrey With the Fringe on the Top.  All three of these songs are perfect for his nonchalant tenor voice.

Moving to Carousel. If I Loved You and You'll Never Walk Alone.  These are the best-known songs from that musical, and he sings them with wonderful resonance.  Then we come to Soliloquy.  This is probably my second favorite song on the album.  Sinatra always had a way of telling a story while he sang.  And this song does that.  You could almost imagine his singing this when he discovered he was going to become a father for the first time.  And he indeed sings it better than I have ever heard.  I would have loved for him to be in this musical!

It Might as Well Be Spring--wonderful song from State Fair.  Then we come to a couple unfamiliar songs to me--That's For Me, A Fellow Needs a Girl, and So Far.  All nice, but not songs I really know.

We come to my favorite song on the album--Younger Than Springtime.  I don't know what it is about this song, but for as long as I can remember, it renders me helpless.  I cannot play the song while I'm driving.  I cannot work.  I just fall under the spell of the singer.  And who couldn't fall under Frank Sinatra's singing of this song?  He does not disappoint.

The rest of the album is very nice as well:  Some Enchanted Evening, Bali Ha'i (doesn't work, I dont' think), Hello Young Lovers (a little too young for this song--I hope he sang it later in his career), We Kiss in a Shadow, and I Whistle a Happy Tune (a fun way to end the album).

My mom once said that her complaint with the CD is that Frank Sinatra sounds too young, and there is no depth to his voice.  I do not agree. I love his voice during this stage.  Granted, he had a career later on and sang better-known songs, but I do enjoy his early stuff.

Here's a link so some of his videos (I don't think there are any of these songs available):
http://www.last.fm/music/Frank+Sinatra/+videos

Now onto this album.  The two don't really seem to go together, do they?  I have been a huge fan of this girl since I first heard her last year on America's Got Talent.  It was so refreshing to see a girl who was grounded and who could sing correctly!

I wouldn't buy her album at Christmastime because it was short.  I was so pleased to find this one come out.  I ordered it, and I have to say I loved every minute of it.

From the opening notes of When You Wish Upon A Star, I was mesmerized!  Her tone is so pure and clear. And I am grateful that she is finding her own style.  I was concerned that she would try to become another Sarah Brightman.  I think she needs to learn how to perform on stage--I don't always like to watch her expression--but that will come in time.

I won't cover every single song.  Know that all the arias she sings are impeccable.  Her "r's" are rolled expertly, but let me comment on my favorites.  I love The Prayer with Susan Boyle!  They almost brought me to tears!  You have to hear it!  She sings Angel with such purity, and her duet with Barbra Streisand is out of this world--Somewhere.   I loved All I Ask of You.  There actually wasn't a single song I did not like. It was worth the money, and I hope that she will continue to grow and remain as grounded as she is now.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Your Ad Here