Monday, March 21, 2011

Music Monday--Challenge Week #12

I told you I would have a couple to review tonight, and I do!  Aren't you proud of me???

This is my first CD to review.  Yes, it's Brad Paisley again, and I have to admit I liked this CD from start to finish.  I still wish Brad would go back to what he used to do instead of being silly and writing dumb songs.

I can relate to Long Sermon.  Who has not been in church on a beautiful Sunday morning when it seems that the service will never end?  Me!!  Me Neither is a really cute song.  I love all the lines he uses in the song to pick the girl up, and he always plays it off like he was testing her or joking around.  These kinds of songs I do like.  Who Needs Pictures is a heart-breaking, sweet song, and Don't Breathe is also pretty sweet and tender.  He Didn't Have to Be always makes me cry.  It was a big hit for him, and it always makes me think of my daughter and how maybe someday she will be in that position.  It Never Woulda Worked Out Anyway is another funny song.  And another sad song is Holdin' Onto You.  Another sad song is I've Been Better.  His next song was another big hit--We Danced.  I have always loved this song.  Even before I knew who Brad Paisley was.  His songs are so sweet on this album--even the sad ones.  Another funny song is Sleepin' on the Foldout.  I think most married men can relate to this.  I think those of us who have lived in Texas can relate to Cloud of Dust.  Then he moves on to his instrumental song--I really enjoy these. It's called Nervous Breakdown.  And he ends with In the Garden.  Oh, he needs to release a gospel country album!  He is so good at those.  I wonder why he has changed so much.



I said I have another one to review.  I started listening to this a long time ago.  It is one of my favorite CD's from one of my favorite singers. I have loved Michael Crawford for so long, and I don't think there is a single song on this album that is not good.  It's nice to hear him sing an upbeat song like Any Dream Will Do.  He is wonderfully romantic in All I Ask of You.  I think he could have played Raoul in his younger days in Phantom.  Wishing You Were Somehow Here Again is one of my favorite songs, and he truly makes it his own even though is was originally a female song.  And the Money Kept Rolling In  is really nice to hear from him.  So often, he only sings those wonderful romantic ballads.  He used to sing fast songs--I always loved him in Barnum.  I was unfamiliar with Nothing Like You've Ever Known until he sang it--great rendition!  And the poignancy of Tell Me On a Sunday truly comes through.  Then we come to a very dramatic song  of his--he generally opens his concerts  with Gethsemane.  I realize that this song is not completely true to Jesus and the Garden, but I was challenged in Bible college to listen to the song and reflect on Jesus's humanity.  We as Christians often forget it.  I have to say, he does a phenomenal job--no one does it better that I have ever heard.  Phantom of the Opera is only ruined by the soprano who cannot hit the high notes.  And his version of Music of the Night is not his finest.  The finest I ever heard was when he sang it live (I saw him in concert in 1998).  I am not truly fond of Memory, however he sings it well.  I still prefer it in its original context with Elaine Paige singing it.  I like hearing him sing a song where he has to relax and go into his pop voice--Only You.  Then he sings a duet with his daughter--Other Pleasures/First Man You'll Remember.  You can tell he loves that.  And he ends with Love Changes Everything.  It just doesn't get much better than this!!

I am leaving a link to a video--I haven't heard this in a very long time!  It is not the exact version on the CD, but I enjoy it.

http://annifdaniar.multiply.com/video/item/1

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Your Ad Here