Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Well-Spoken Wednesday--The Cat Who Robbed a Bank Review

Summary from goodreads:
In this new installment in the bestselling Cat Who... mystery series Qwilleran and his brilliant Siamese put their whisker-twitching crime solving talents to task to find a killer.

The residents of Pickax are delighted that the old bombed-out Pickax Hotel is reopening with a whole new look. With new furnishings, a new chef, and even a new name, what could be more thrilling? Everyone is thrown into a topspin when one of the hotel's first guests, a jeweler who has come to town to buy heirloom jewelry from some of Pickax's oldest families, winds up the victim of murder. Who could have committed such a horrible crime? Could it be the hotel clerk, a recent winner of a gold medal for the caber toss at Highland Games?

Qwilleran and his snooping Siamese are willing to go to any length to find the killer and set the town at ease. But first they'll have to contend with a highjacked bookmobile, an attempted bank robbery... and a few of the cat's preoccupations. Koko has a newfound fondness for pennies and Koko and Yum Yum both are obsessed with chewing on gum wrappers - but for entirely different reasons, of course.

Sit back, relax and unwind with another fabulous feline mystery by Lilian Jackson Braun!



The Cat Who Robbed a Bank (Cat Who..., #22)The Cat Who Robbed a Bank by Lilian Jackson Braun
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I cannot honestly say I remember how I found this book, but since it was a mystery, and it concerned cats, I thought it might be an interesting read.  I have to say I was somewhat disappointed.  I realize this is a series of books, and I came in now knowing any of the characters, but I nearly gave up reading it afer about 50 pages.  I think some time after that, I began to get somewhat interested.


I loved the two Siamese cats, and I loved thier owner.  They were well-portrayed, and they were what kept me reading.  I also liked the fact that it happened in a small town.  so often these kinds of stories take place in a big city.


What I did not like is that the mystery was not even a real mystery.  I would have preferred not knowing so many of the details of the mystery halfway into the book.  The reader was told too much about the case, and that ruined it for me.  I enjoyed how the cats always knew certain things, but it would have been nicer to just have those details and not the police facts.


I do not know what the relationship was between the main male and female character.  Of course, I have not read the other books, but why are they not dating or married?  I also do not like the fact that the main character is not willing to come to terms with his own past.  It bothers me that he refuses to accept that.  I enjoyed learning about his past, but he ruined it!


In short, it is your choice, but I would not readily recommend this book to anyone.  It is a fine writing style--certainly nothing against the author.  But I wish it had more depth in the actual mystery portion.  I would have loved to have seen more from the cats!!


View all my reviews




0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Your Ad Here