Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Twilight Tuesday--On the Other Side of My Divorce

Well, I know I have  posted some about my divorce and what led  up to  it, but I don't think I've  talked much about what happened afterwards.  Some  people have expressed the desire to know more about me, so here goes.

It was a long divorce--about 9 months  long. I remember  thinking it  would never end!  My ex did not even show up to the final court date where  I was granted the divorce.  It was divorce by default.  He had  no money left, and he knew he had lost.  His  lawyer dismissed him--go figure!

As I was in the final month or so before the divorce was granted, I did something that probably many people do in my situation.  I began looking around online for a new guy.  Yep,  I did it. I was on all the pen pal sites. I went to eHarmony.  Goodness, I was in the process of signing up when  Martin (my friend in England) sent me a  proposal via e-mail! (That's a whole other blog post--seriously).  I did sign  up, and  I wasted a bunch of money on eHarmony.  I'm not knocking the site.  But something happened that prevented my use of it.

I happened to answer a pen pal ad--don't even remember the site--and it was a guy beginning to go through a divorce himself.  His name was Daryl.  I almost hate to write his name here.  I actually saw his picture on facebook, and he hasn't changed a bit.  I actually haven't spoken much about him in  a long time, so  maybe I'll post a little tonight.

I sent this guy an e-mail, and I remember I got excited when he wrote  back.  And we wrote back and forth for a while.  He was in Georgia, and I don't even remember how old he was. I think he wasn't much older  than  I, but  I can't recall.  He had married a girl who had been married before.  She had kids, and now she wanted someone else.

As would be expected, I became  infatuated with the guy.  Especially after he called me.  I think he called me the day before I went to court  to get the divorce finalized.  Yes, he was a Christian--or so he said.  I stupidly sent him flowers.  That cause a wave of something or other because he lived with his mom.  As I write this now, I have no idea why I liked him.

Actually, I do.  When Martin  withdrew his proposal,  I was devastated.  I had to find someone else on whom to place my feelings.  So, I found the first guy who would take  those  feelings.  Our relationship was so strange.  We spent hours on  the phone--I let everything else go.  I began to gain weight again.  Martha was about two, and I neglected her. I didn't  do much of anything that summer.  And I made sure that  when Martin came  that I put Daryl ahead of him--oh that was hard!  Because I was  actually in love with Martin, but I was subconsciously trying to make Martin jealous.

I actually used to talk  to this guy till 9 or 10 at night, and I would let him call me at 4 or 5 in the  morning.  Can we talk about desperation?  He had a drinking problem.  He had no  real job.  He was sex-crazed.  He tried to take advantage of me whenever he could,  but I never let  him  get away with a thing.  Truth be known, I controlled him completely!  It was my Mom and Martin that  woke me up.

In fact, I still remember the night that it all  ended.  It is the only night I have ever stayed up all night.  I was trying to sleep.  It was  the Thursday night before MLK day.  I was having major misgivings since Christmas concerning  the engagement and pending marriage.  For some reason, I couldn't sleep.  I remember I called my mom, and she pointed  out to me  that I was in love  with Martin and it was okay.  I took off my engagement ring.  I wrote Martin an e-mail that just spilled my guts out to him.  He rejected me,  but it didn't change anything.  I actually went to school that day on  absolutely no sleep.  It was only the grace of God that got me through.  The following Tuesday I sent my engagement ring back to Daryl, and that was the end of that.  I never even cried over the relationship.  I felt bad for Daryl.  But I was so glad I woke up.

I guess there are times we lose our heads, isn't there? I'm so glad God woke me up before I got married to another  idiot.  And I realized whom I loved.

Okay, tonight I repaired jewelry for about 20-30 minutes.  That felt good to get something done.  And I decided that from now on I plan to add a song  to each blog entry if I can.  I am so musical,  and I think I can find a song for each post.

I think this song puts into words how I now  feel about Martin.  I once bought  Reba's album merely because of this song!

1 comment:

  1. Divorce is so hard on everyone involved, and we all make bad choices when we're hurting. We are so lucky to have the Lord to lean on!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Your Ad Here