Thursday, January 12, 2012

Free-Wheeling Friday--Rule's Bride by Kat Martin Book Review

Summary from goodreadsUnrepentant rake Rule Dewar is living the good life when a most surprising event occurs—he falls in love with his wife.
After their strategic "marriage of commerce" three years ago, Rule quite forgot about Violet Griffin, the teenage heiress to a Boston manufacturing fortune. He simply spoke his vows, took over her father's business and returned to England to resume his usual pursuits: high-priced wine, high-stakes gambling and highborn women.
Yet when Violet, now a sophisticated woman, unexpectedly appears at Rule's London town house, husbandly duties no longer seem so odious—he can't wait to take his stunning bride to their marriage bed. Violet, however, is not so easily led: she has her own ideas and is seeking an annulment to marry another. But as Rule attempts to win her over, someone else is determined to frame him for murder and keep him out of the way for good….
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
As far as I know, this is my first Kat Martin book, and I must say that it met and exceeded my expectations.  I always love a good 19th century English romance, and this certainly fit the bill.

When I began the book, I did not realize it was part of a series, and I was reading the third and final installment of the series.  I was able to jump right into the story with no trouble whatsoever even without any background knowledge.  This book definitely stands on its own with no trouble whatsoever.

I have to admit that I am a sucker for a bad boy married to a good girl, and this book did not disappoint in that area.  However it was nice that we had no intimate bedroom details outside the confines of marriage (always appreciated), and then the lovemaking scenes were hot and heavy!  I would not recommend this book to anyone who objects to passionate bedroom scenes (even though they are masterfully written).  While both men in the books have sown their wild oats, they are incredibly passionate with their wives, and their wives are fantastically responsive.

I love reading about strong, independent women during this time period, and I was certainly not disappointed.  I also loved the fact that mystery, intrigue, and danger were woven into the story in such an expert manner.  While there were a few instances of mild profanity, those instances were few, far beteen, and not really offensive.  It would seem that I am somewhat alone in giving this book a 5-star rating, but it is probably because I am unfamiliar with Kat Martin's other works.  Notwithstanding, I would recommend this book to anyone with a love for light, historical romances.

Kat Martin, Author
There is so much to tell about her, and her website is massive.  Check it out!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Your Ad Here