Sunday, January 1, 2012

My Music Challenge 2011--How Did I Do? And Looking to 2012

I was reminded today about the challenge that I created at the beginning of 2011 for myself.  I called it My Music Challenge 2011.  Unfortunately, I didn't meet my goals entirely, but I accomplished some of them.

My goal was to listen to and review 52 CD's.  I think I reviewed 33, from what I can tell.  I invited people to do the challenge with me, but only one person said they would, but they never followed through.l  No problem.  What I did do was listen to more than 5 new CD's.  I probably listened to about 15-20 new CD's.  Not too bad.  I was exposed to a lot of new music.  

One thing I have learned is that forcing myself to listen to a different CD each week is a bad idea!  I like to listen to the radio and to CD's both while I am driving to and from work.  Sometimes it took me longer than I thought to listen to a CD.  I liked the challenge of listening to CD's, and I still have a load I need to listen to.  But I have discovered that putting myself on some kind of timeline like that is really not something I enjoy.

What I would like to do this year is something much simpler.  I plan to still post music reviews on Mondays.  I enjoy doing that.  I plan to get all of my music reviews put on one page of my blog (the one marked "Music" might make sense, don't you think?).  As I  am able to do so, I will listen to CD's and review them here--so watch for that.

Another thing I would like to do on here is occasionally post a video of my singing.  That may sound strange, but I have mentioned in the past that I am a singer--a classically trained singer, as a matter of fact.  I had aspirations at one time to be professional, but that was so long ago, I can hardly remember that.  I used to have a church ministry--I sang in the church choir, directed various choirs, sang solos, etc.  In the past few years, that ministry has waned.  It seems that wherever God puts me now has no choir and virtually no music ministry.  And so many people don't know what to do with my voice.  I guess you either like it or you hate it.

I miss singing for people.  I really do.  So I thought that maybe you guys might occasionally be my audience.  You don't have to like it.  Goodness, you don't have to listen to it at all.  Just humor me.  

I will make a post later on this evening detailing my challenges for this year.  And I will try to get back to updating you on my challenges every Sunday I can.  That seems to work well.  

So no new music challenge this year.  I've learned my lesson!

1 comment:

  1. I found a similar thing with books. I REALLY enjoy reading, and I like to write about what I've read. Putting myself on a time limit, though, or forcing myself to read a certain number of books just doesn't work for me. I find myself feeling pressured instead of enjoying the idea of reading. I'm looking forward to reading your reviews as you get to them!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Your Ad Here