Saturday, January 14, 2012

This Day in History January 14, 1814


So how is your Norwegian history?  Probably about as good as mine!  I learned quite a bit for today's feature.  For around 300 years, Denmark and Norway were known as Denmark-Norway.  It was on this date in 1814 when this ended.  Denmark was ceded to Sweden in the Treaty of Kiel.

This treaty came about due to the Napoleonic Wars during which the Denmark-Norway was defeated.  This dissolution ended the Danish-Norwegian naval power, and this was the last war that was fought by Sweden. This union came to an end in 1905, but that is another story.

There is a lot of information, and so if you are interested in learning a lot more, check out these links:

1 comment:

  1. What a perfect post for me to read today. It is my co-author's mom's birthday. She is a fabulous woman- but she is also Swedish and Norwegian. I can pass on to her the interesting facts I learned here! I had no idea about any of this!

    ~Jess
    http://thesecretdmsfilesoffairdaymorrow.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Your Ad Here