Wednesday, April 18, 2012

This Day in History April 19, 1897


Well, what do you know?  On this date in 1897, the first Boston Marathon occurred.  Actually, my ex-father-in-law ran in that one year.  The winner in 1897 was John J. McDermott of New York won with a time of 2:55:10.  Much better than I would do!  I absolutely hate running.  I force myself to get on the treadmill several times a month.  It is absolute torture!

Inspired by the first modern Olympics in 1896, John Graham decided to get together a race of 24.5 measured miles in Boston.  Fifteen runners began, but only ten finished.  It was not until 1972 that women were officially allowed to enter the race.  And the race was originally run on April 19 in honor of Patriot's Day, a regional holiday that commemorated the beginning of the Revolutionary War.

I have run a short race with my daughter.  A couple of them, as a matter of fact.  Maybe she and I should do it again.  But marathons are out, as far as I am concerned.

For more information, check out:
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Your Ad Here