Sunday, April 29, 2012

This Day in History April 29, 1992

How well I remember, and how many memories come flooding back with today's feature.  It was on this date in 1992 that riots broke out in L.A. after four police officers were acquitted in the beating of Rodney King.  Yes, the Rodney King riots.  It was not until May 2 that this rioting ended with the help of the National Guard, the military, and the police force.  At the end of the riots, here were the statistics:

  • Over 51 people killed
  • 2383 people arrested
  • over 700 businesses burned
  • estimated $1 billion property damages
Now, I do not want to talk about the riots.  I'll leave some links that you can check out.  I want to talk to about how this incident personally affected me.  You see, there were riots all over the country, including Washington state.  I was in my senior year of high school at this time. I had landed my first ever role in a play.  I had worked so hard and given up so much for that.  And I was getting to be in it with the guy I liked at the time.  No, there were no romantic scenes, but I was still in it with him.  It was a murder mystery, and I was the secretary in love with her boss who was supposedly killed (but really was not).  The guy I liked was the detective.  We were scheduled to open on Friday night (this was the evening of the riots).  I got the phone call that said it had been cancelled due to the riots.  I was absolutely horrified!  I had worked so hard, and now no play!  I was scheduled to go on opening night.  The other girl playing the part was to go on Saturday.  

Saturday arrived, and we were to go ahead with the play.  I am grateful to Uzuri Hilliard (I probably misspelled her name, but I have never forgotten her) for letting me go on during our new opening night of Saturday.  I messed up a lot, I admit.  I forgot lines.  I know that having the Friday off unexpectedly got me out of the rhythm of the show.  I would never have messed up like otherwise.  But no one really knew.

For more information on the riots, check out:

1 comment:

  1. Wow! I remember that! I like This Day in History posts!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Your Ad Here