Thursday, November 22, 2012

#Giving Tuesday--I Did My Giving a Little Early!

I don't know if you know about #Giving Tuesday--I will admit I honestly hadn't until this year.  On Tuesday, November 27 (that's not too far away), we are asked to find a way to give.  After all, we have a day for giving thanks, and we have great days for getting deals online and in the stores.  But it is always good--especially at this time of year--to give.  I can imagine what some of you might be saying.  Money is tight.  People are out of work.  My house is in danger of being foreclosed (actually, that is true for me this year).  But in this great country of ours, we have been blessed.  And instead of spending our time complaining, it is good to go out and give back.  To whom much is given, much is required.  And I have been given much.  I am reminded every time I turn on the TV.

My church and I already had a chance to give (and we may be doing more).  But I wanted to share what we have done--even though we did it just a little bit early.

Have you ever heard of Samaritan's Purse and Operation Christmas Child?  If not, be sure to check them out here.  The premise of this charity is to compile shoe boxes, fill them with goodies and necessities, and send them overseas to children who will never receive anything for Christmas except this box.  My family and I had participated in it before, but our church didn't do it last year.  So I decided to take the initiative and find out how to get involved.  My church gave me the go-ahead, and last week, we sent 39 boxes!  Maybe that doesn't sound too exciting, but it was for us.  My mom and I took the boxes home and made sure that everything in it was appropriate and packed well.  I know that these boxes are now on their way to children who will now get a very special gift for Christmas this year!  While I would love to hear back from the child to whom we sent the box, I am content to know that I have given back and made someone's life happier--even if just for a moment.  In this life, I may never know who that child is, but I gave back this year.  My church, my family, and I did.

So what will you do?  Maybe next Tuesday isn't convenient for you and your family to give back, but don't let that be your excuse.  Find a way to give back in some way this holiday season, and participate in #Giving Tuesday!

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Your Ad Here