Thursday, February 7, 2013

"The Second Daughter" by J. Jeffrey Book Review

I finally got it read!  Please read more information about this book here.

The Second DaughterThe Second Daughter by J. Jeffrey
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This is one of those books that is well-written, full of true-to-life characters, and has a good share of twists and turns.  I would say that this book definitely would have widespread appeal, and there is probably something for everyone.  You will find history, romance, a little bit of intrigue, some humor, tragedy, and psychological introspection.  There were many times I wanted to shake some sense into the characters, and I also discussed several of the issues with my mom.  I realize that sibling rivalry and parental favoritism are real issues, and this book does an excellent job of dealing with that situation as well as other issues.

I did have a few issues with the book.  I grew very tired of the profanity--very overused (especially the "f" word), but this has no bearing on the rating for me since this is an adult book.  I was glad there were no descriptive bedroom scenes.  References to sex were rather toned down, so I appreciated that.  I was not too keen on the way the book jumped around between the years.  I always prefer a book that is arranged chronologically with only brief flashbacks as needed (unless the story is told completely through flashback).  I appreciated the chronological portions of the book, but it made no sense to me when one chapter was in the right order and the next chapter happened five years earlier and the next--you get the idea.  I truly think this could have been improved upon--at least in my opinion.  I also would have liked to have had an actual date before the end of the book.  I found myself trying to guess the time period, but maybe that was what the author intended.

The thing I appreciated the most about the book was the humor!  So often when serious issues are covered in modern books, I struggle to find humor.  And this author brings it!  Sometimes at the strangest times, but I greatly appreciate it.  I do especially love the animal stories.  But I will not give away any more details.  If you are interested, read it for yourself!

I was sent a copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.  I was not financially compensated, and all opinions are 100 percent mine.


View all my reviews

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Your Ad Here