Monday, April 18, 2011

Music Monday--Challenge Week #16

I have two albums to review tonight.  This first one was from the library.  I did not know much about Don Henley, but I knew he was the lead singer of the Eagles.  I had heard a song or two on the radio, so I thought I would give this a go.  There were some stand-out songs, but I have to admit that most of the album seemed mediocre at best.

The Boys of Summer, The Last Worthless Evening, and The Heart of the Matter were great songs, and I think they really stood out.  The song that really offended me (I would not have listened to it if I weren't doing this review) was The Garden of Allah.  I really do despise songs like this are pseudo-religious and sound very evil.

I kind of enjoyed Dirty Laundry--I think that speaks to things now in our world.  If I remember right, You Don't Know Me At All was probably another really great one.  But I cannot say I will be buying this album.  However, he is in the process of working on a country album.

Now to the CD I truly am excited to review.  I have told you before that I am a huge Taylor Swift fan.  I have all three of her albums and her Christmas album.  In the fall, we will  be attending her concert.  I had heard this album when it first came out, but I decided it was time to give it an in-depth review. (If you want to know all the background stories about the album, look here.

Her opening track is Mine.  I will admit that this song was not an instant hit with me.  It took several listens for me to like it. Once I saw the video, I was definitely sold.  It was so nice to a see a more grown-up Taylor.

I find Sparks Fly nice and upbeat, but when it comes to Back to December, I think Taylor struck gold.  I venture to say that this is her finest piece of work to date.  And the video is absolutely breathtaking.  It is neat that this song marks her first apology in a song.

I find Speak Now a really cute song, and you can tell that Taylor enjoys singing it.  But Dear John is quite a song.  It concerns John Mayer--Taylor and he were an item for a while.  I had no idea until I heard this song.  I couldn't believe it.  What was the girl thinking?  I think this song chronicles the story well.

Mean--I had no idea that this was written to the silly critics.  I remember the issues surrounding a less than perfect Grammy Awards performance, but I don't think anyone should judge a singer on those performances.  Traditionally one does not get the best performance during the awards shows.  I guess I would say this "angry" song gets her point across.  It is catchy, and my daughter absolutely loves it.  The Story of Us is a well-written song, and it is poignant and rings true.

Never Grow Up is such a sweet song.  If you follow Taylor at all, you will know she has a little brother, and this song refers to him.  It causes me to tear up as well because I wish my daughter would not grow up!  She'll be a teenager before long!

Enchanted is another nice song that she sings quite well.  But we then come to my personal favorite.  Better Than Revenge.  This is Taylor at her caustic best.  I love the fact that she sings it for Joe Jonas' girl (for whom he supposedly left Taylor).  I wish she would release this as a single, but I would say she probably will not.  It may not make a big hit, but it gets the point across as only Taylor can.

Innocent.  This song is about Kanye West.  If you don't know what I am talking about, be sure to read the top link in this review. He is the one who rudely interrupted her acceptance speech at the awards show last year, I believe. I have to say, she really is nice to him.  Much nicer than I ever could imagine being.

Of the last  three songs, Last Kiss stands out to me.  It is well-written and has a few surprises.  I like Hanted and Long Live are nice, but not as memorable in my opinion.

I highly recommend this album!  Taylor Swift is indeed at her best here.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Your Ad Here