Thursday, April 14, 2011

Thoughtful Thursday--On a Personal Note

Well, this blog began as a personal blog, and tonight I come back to that.  We had a huge blow-up tonight with my dad.  I know I have written before, but I have to say I was the one who really did mess up tonight.  I let my flesh control me rather than the Spirit of God.

I got mad at my dad for lying for the umpteenth time, and I yelled at him and only by the grace of God did I not hit him.  I mean that seriously.  He has intense hatred for Martin, and Martin feels the same way about him.  Martin is not a Christian, so I think it makes sense.  He is controlled by sin.  He is a slave to sin as a matter of fact.  My dad purports to be a Christian.  He has just as much hatred for Martin if not more.

When I got so incensed, I was instantly ridden with guilt.  I cried hard and continued to apologize to God for my behavior.  I was in the wrong in spite of anything else.  It reminded me that any human being is truly capable of anything.  When I apologized to my dad, he insisted that I never would have hit him.  I know I would have.  No doubt.  When our flesh is in control, anything is possible.

It was just last night that Martin and I argued over the statement in the Bible concerning "an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth."  That is his guiding principle for his life, and he could not understand why my mom and I don't follow that principle since it is in the Bible.  I have to admit I did not give a good response, but God and I worked through the issue last night.  And my study of the first few verses of Revelation confirmed what God had already revealed to me.

In the Old Testament, the rule (which is really the Hammurabi code) is "an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth."  It was interesting to think about the culture of that day.  Many times back then, a crime would have a consequence that was extremely harsh.  Just like the Arab culture of today.  If one steals, the punishment is to cut off the thief's hand.  This Old Testament rule guarded against such stiff penalties.  The punishment should fit the crime.  That makes perfect sense to me.  Martin even agreed with that.

Why is it that Jesus encourages us to act in opposition to this Old Testament rule?  In the Sermon on the Mount, He says to love your enemies and to do good to those who persecute you.  God revealed a very important truth to me.  As Christians, we may still have the right to follow this rule, but we are asked to give up our rights.  Not easy to do, I know, but not impossible with the Spirit's indwelling.  In giving up our rights, we become a witness of the Lord.  People wonder why we act like that, and then we have the opportunity to give the glory to God.

As I began to study Revelation chapter 1, I studied the word "slave."  I discovered that it meant to voluntarily give up your rights to serve someone with no regard to your own feelings and wants.  Interesting.  Tonight, I decided to stop being a slave, and I did things my way.  And in so doing, serious problems were created.

So what I can say is that I am renewing my commitment to the Lord--to be His slave and voluntarily give up all my rights.  My life is in His hands!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Your Ad Here