Tuesday, October 11, 2011

This Day in History October 12, 1984

This truly was an eventful year.  Just a day after the first female walked in space, on the other side of the pond, tragedy struck courtesy of the IRA.

Recognize this lady? I can assure you that you would if you were a British citizen.  Margaret Thatcher.  She was prime minister--one of the best.  But sadly, the IRA didn't think so.  On this date in 1984, a bomb exploded in Brighton Hotel where members of the British government were staying (there was a conservative party conference).  Five people were killed, and around 34 were injured.  Margaret Thatcher was one of the intended targets, but thankfully, she was unscathed.  The IRA made a statement claiming responsibility and promising that they would continue their fight until Ireland received its freedom.

I know this may not seem like a big deal to those of us in the U.S.  But here is my response to that. As U.S. citizens,  we tend to be very egocentric.  We tend to look at what is going on with us. Our  "world" news often covers our news.  We often neglect the things that happen all over the world.

I knew about the IRA, but I was unaware of this bombing.  I guess I should have known--they probably announced it on our news back then.  But I honestly did not listen to that part of the news.  I didn't even watch the news back then.

For more information (including an informative video), check out these sites:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/october/12/newsid_2531000/2531583.stm
http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/national-news/2009/10/12/brighton-bomb-victims-commemorated-92746-24911617/

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Your Ad Here