Sunday, October 30, 2011

This Day in History October 31, 1892

I was absolutely amazed how many things in history happened on October 31.  I certainly had my pick, but I decided to pick something a little bit different.




It just so happens that it was on this day in 1892 that the very first short story collection of Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle was published.  Yes, Sherlock Holmes had appeared in magazines previously, but this was the first book collection of short stories.

Doyle was born in Scotland om 1859, and studied medicine at the University of Edinburgh That was where he met Dr. Bell who became his inspiration for the character Sherlock Holmes.  Once his stories began to sell well in magazines in 1891, he was able to give up his medical practice and concentrate on his writing.

I would love to elaborate on his biography, but if you are interested, you can check out these sites for an incredible amount of information:
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/the-adventures-of-sherlock-holmes-published
http://www.sherlockholmesonline.org

I don't know about you, but I enjoy Sherlock Holmes.  I enjoy reading the books and watching the movies.  I think his mysteries were some of the finest and best-written.  I honestly never found them boring.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Your Ad Here