Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Well-Spoken Wednesday--Attracted to Fire by DiAnn Mills Book Review

Summary (from goodreads)Special Agent Meghan Connors’ dream of one day protecting the president of the United States is about to come true. Only one assignment stands in her way. After the vice president’s rebellious daughter is threatened, Meghan is assigned to her protective detail on a secluded ranch in West Texas. Unfortunately, working with Special Agent in Charge Ash Zinders may be as tough as controlling her charge. Ash has a reputation for being critical and exacting, and he’s also after the same promotion as Meghan. But when the threats escalate and security on the ranch is breached, it becomes clear this isn’t the work of a single suspect—it’s part of a sophisticated plan that reaches deeper and higher than anyone imagined. And only Ash and Meghan can put the pieces together before it’s too late.



Attracted to FireAttracted to Fire by DiAnn Mills
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I have to say that when I began this book, I was pretty sure I wasn't going to like it.  I like mysteries and spy novels to a degree, but this just didn't seem like my kind of book. I was not taken with the main agent--Ash.  I guess Meghan was okay, but the story did not interest me.

After about page 75, something changed for me.  I'm not sure why, but I suddenly cared about the characters.  The relationship between Ash and Meghan was very well done.  And I actually cared about what happened to Lindsay and the president.  And although I figured out some parts of the story, I didn't know everything that would happen.  I hated to put the story down!

I appreciated the way that the gospel message was so expertly woven into this story.  I get tired of Christian books that force the gospel message.  I generally mark those books down.  The gospel message was presented in such a real way.  And although the ending may not have been realistic, I was glad it ended as it did!

If you like spy novels with a plot that has lots of twists and turns, this book is for you.  Even for those who do not appreciate the gospel message, this is a book for you.  The gospel message is not presented in an offensive way at all.  The characterization and action are well-developed and enjoyable to say the least.  I also appreciate the short chapters.  Books with short chapters keep the action flowing so well.  I look forward to reading more books by this author!

Per FTC guidelines, Tyndale House Publishers has provided me with a complimentary copy of this book.  All opinions are 100 percent mine.



View all my reviews





Award-winning author DiAnn Mills is a fiction writer who combines an adventuresome spirit with unforgettable characters to create action-packed novels. DiAnn’s first book was published in 1998. She currently has more than fifty books in print, which have sold more than a million and a half copies.

Her titles have appeared on the CBA and ECPA bestseller lists and have won placements through the American Christian Fiction Writer’s Book of the Year Awards from 2003 to 2008. DiAnn was also a Carol Award finalist in 2010 & 2011. She received the Inspirational Reader’s Choice award in 2005, 2007, and 2010, and was a Christy Award finalist in 2008 and a RITA Award finalist in 2010. In 2010, DiAnn won the Christy Award for Breach of Trust and in 2011 she won the Christy Award for Sworn to Protect, the first and second books in her Call of Duty series.

DiAnn is a founding board member for American Christian Fiction Writers and a member of Inspirational Writers Alive; Romance Writers of America’s Faith, Hope and Love chapter; and the Advanced Writers and Speakers Association. She speaks to various groups and teaches writing workshops around the country. DiAnn is also the Craftsman mentor for the Jerry B. Jenkins Christian Writers Guild.

She and her husband live in sunny Houston, Texas.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Your Ad Here