Sunday, March 11, 2012

The Other Family I Did Not Know I Had

I will do my best not to make this a long post.  If you have followed my blog for any time at all, you will probably know that I originally started this blog to chronicle my time with the Lord.  While some of the focus has shifted, it is times like this when I know that God has given me a wonderful gift in this blog.

Some of you, my readers, know that my dad and my best friend (Martin) do not get along.  Okay, that is an understatement--they hate each other.  There have been altercations in the past--in fact, there was one on Friday, and on Saturday evening, my mom and Martin were met with a group from my dad's church--I used to respect  a couple of the men, but I have to admit that my views have changed somewhat.  These men were there to remove Martin from the property.  They would only involve the police as a last resort.

These men accused my mom of lying, and they accused me of being a loser since I am 37 and still live with my parents (even though I gave up a full-time job to move up here to help my mom and I have my own home down in Texas on which I have been making payments.)

I was hurt, and I posted on facebook about being a loser, and I mentioned in passing the issue with Martin.  I was amazed at how God used that status update.  Martin's sister contacted him (they had not been on the best terms in recent times).  A missionary in Belgium (she is an old schoolmate) saw my post and alerted my mom's best friend.  My ex-sister-in-law left a beautiful comment on my wall, and I was truly blown away at the outpouring of love.  This outpouring also was found on my blog facebook page--people I never have met were praying for me!

As exciting as this miracle is, I have another one to report.  Two couples from my church and our neighbor down the road have already offered him a room, and I have to believe that this was no surprise to God.  In fact, I found myself praising God that I was worthy to suffer like this.  And I was sincere!

At this point, much of my family has cut me off due to decisions I have made.  Thankfully, I still have my mom and my daughter.  Last night when I posted, I truly needed someone to talk to, and I mourned the fact that I was so isolated.and without many friends.

But what I did not realize is that God chose this time to reveal a wonderful gift to me--my "other family."  I have attended a lot of churches in my life, but I have never found one like the one I currently attend with my mother, Martha, and Martin. And today proves it.  When we were asked how we were doing, people were willing to listen to our story.  They promised to pray.  And they were astounded and wanted to help in any way they could.  I hate to say it but if three families can offer Martin "sanctuary," how is it that he can be so bad?

I want to thank each of the people who have helped us through this time.  It is very hard to hear your mom begin accused of being a liar and that you are the cause of the family trouble.  It is wonderful that people will listen to our stories without judging.  I thank you for the outpouring of love already, and if any of you would like to add the situation to your prayer life, I would be more than grateful.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Your Ad Here