Saturday, September 15, 2012

This Day in History September 15, 1890

By Agatha Christie plaque -Torre Abbey.jpg: Violetriga derivative work: F l a n k e r (Agatha Christie plaque -Torre Abbey.jpg) [GFDL (http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/fdl.html) or CC-BY-SA-3.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/)], via Wikimedia Commons

Today's feature is one of the greatest mystery writers of all time.  You might recognize her.  Yes, on this date in 1890, Agatha Christie was born.  Years ago, I read her autobiography, but I have to admit that there are only a couple things I remember.  She did not like harsh cleansers--she preferred simply soap and water.  And she was the least likely person to become an author--she was not considered as bright as others in her family.

One of the things that is always remembered was when she disappeared without a trace and was found in a  hotel three weeks later, claiming that she lost her memory.  And no one ever spoke of this incident again.  Her most famous characters are Hercule Poirot and Miss Marple.  I do not know which character is my favorite.  I have always loved her mystery Murder on the Orient Express, and I suppose the intelligence of Poirot does intrigue me.  But Miss Marple is that unassuming dowager who always solved crimes that no one else could!  I guess I love them both.  I have not read all of Christie's books (by a long shot), but I have read many.  I used to go back and forth between her books and Perry Mason mysteries.  I even had quite a collection of both.  One of these days, I need to pick up one of her books again!

For more information, please check out:

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Your Ad Here