Monday, November 12, 2012

DNA and the Paternity of a Child

How to determine the paternity of a child
It is not unusual to want to confirm the paternity of a child. Luckily, nowadays DNA paternity testing is available to help accurately confirm whether a given man is the biological father or not. You can order a paternity test by simply going to your computer and searching for an online supplier of paternity testing services- this is by far the most convenient and confidential way of doing the test although many private clinics and hospitals also offer the service.
How are DNA samples collected?
To be able to carry out a paternity test you will need to provide DNA samples of the father and the child. If both are available and willing to take part, then things are pretty straightforward. The DNA testing company sends out a kit to your chosen address. Inside the kit you will find oral swabs, instructions and forms to fill out. The instructions explain how the oral swabs are used to collect DNA. You simply rub these inside the mouth of the people involved for around ten seconds and then let them dry for about one hour. The forms you need to fill out are pretty basic- you just need to write the personal details of the people involved and the email address to which you would like your results sent. Once you have completed this, you can send the samples back to the laboratory for testing using the address you find inside your kit. Couldn’t be easier! As soon as your samples are in the laboratory, you will be contacted with the due date for your results.
What if I have other DNA samples available?
It is possible to determine paternity using a range of other DNA samples. Oral swabs are always the most recommended sample because they are easier to collect, cheaper to analyze and more likely to provide successful results. However, there may be cases in which someone might wish not to use oral swabs and send in other samples of genetic material such as hairs, nails clippings or used Kleenexes.
It is important to understand in this case that some samples are better than others. You might want to keep in mind how you have stored the sample and how old it might be. The three samples above are amongst the most common samples used DNA in the hair root, and here is a brief explanation for the requirements of each:
Hairs: Hairs must be one of the most overrated DNA samples. DNA extraction from hair is only possible using the . In other words, if the hairs have no root attached paternity testing is not possible. Forget using cut hairs or hair you found in the shower as they most likely will not have the root. A minimum of four hairs is usually required.
Nails: Finger and toe nail clippings can be pretty accurate. With nails, the fresher they are the higher the chances of success. Ideally the sample should not be more than a week old. The more nails you can provide, the better.
Used Kleenex: This is the winner sample. Chances of successful DNA extraction are extremely high from a used Kleenex and it is only second to a DNA sample collected by means of oral swabs. Important is to ensure the Kleenex has been left to dry before sending for laboratory analysis.
There are many other types of DNA samples that can used – blood, licked envelopes, teeth, toothbrushes to just mention a few. Always best to discuss your sample with somebody at the laboratory before sending it in to get further information on how to store, package and send it. Irrespective of laboratory carrying out your test, there will always be an extra charge for testing with samples other than oral swabs.
How accurate is a paternity test?
Paternity testing is as accurate as science gets. If the alleged father is the biological father of the child, your result will show a probability of paternity that is higher than 99.99%. If the alleged father is not the biological father of the child, the probability of paternity will be 0%.

1 comment:

  1. I heard it gets difficult with twins, however. But yeah, DNA is great. I have a friend who had a gf and they had a baby here in Manila (well, she did lol). The woman claimed he wasn't the father. He had DNA samples checked and he was. Now the kid is a U.S. citizen. Yay for him.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Your Ad Here