Monday, August 22, 2011

Music Monday--Three Mini-Reviews

Because I had a 3-hour drive to and from the Alan Jackson concert on Friday night, I got to listen to some CD's!  And you will now benefit.  I have 3 CD's to review, so here goes.

Herb Alpert &  the Tijuana Brass Classics is a CD with an interesting story.  My ex-husband was a huge fan of theirs, so I bought him this CD for some occasion during our marriage.  While I like them, I never did understand why he thought so highly of them and put down music that I listened to that was much better than this CD.  When we divorced, this is many of the things that he left behind.  So because I like it, it is now mine.

This CD has a lot of familiar music on it.  I would say it has all of their best known songs on it:
The Lonely Bull, Tijuana Taxi, Zorba the Greek, This Guy's In Love With You, Mame.
It has a total of 25 of their greatest hits, and if you like mariachi music or oldies music that is mainly instrumental, this is for you.  They were a group with a signature sound, and I think you would enjoy it.



Michael Ball Centre Stage was my first Michael Ball album.  I actually lost it and had to buy it again, but it was worth it.  It has long been one of my favorite Michael Ball albums.  So where did I hear of Michael Ball?  Well, my love for Andrew Lloyd Webber caused me to find a lot of musicians who sang his music.  And Michael Ball is one of them.  He first got his start in Les Miz.  I know he was more recently in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang in England.

This album includes a wealth of songs from shows.  For me, the highlights are Every Story, Can You Feel the Love Tonight, Winner Takes it All, and Send in the Clowns.  I have to say there is not a bad track on there.  When I was so enamored with Michael Crawford, I would have told you to not bother to listen to Michael Ball's Phantom and Music of the Night renditions.  After all, no one could take Michael Crawford's place, right?  Well, Michael Ball is good.  I think the lady's voice is lacking in quality, but honestly, this is a good CD.  My only problem with Michael Ball is that sometimes he tends to have a big head.  But he and humility do not appear to be on speaking terms.
I will have to show you a song that is not on this album--hard to find ones that are!


And finally, my favorite in the group, I must admit!  This was the first Josh Turner album I owned, and I loved it from the beginning.  I can remember hearing him on the radio and always wondering who he was.  It was my English friend, Martin, who filled me in on Josh Turner.

I love Josh Turner because of his voice and his Christian walk.  He lives what he talks about.  This album has a fantastic song called That's Just the Way He Was Raised.  You don't realize it is talking about Christ until the song is almost done.

The CD is filled with highlights including the title song, Firecracker, Soulmate, and much more.  I love the range he has--his low voice is where he just gets to me!  He is one of the only "celebrities" I have ever found handsome.  I am one of those weird women who doesn't often look at guys and drool over them--never have.  If you were to ask me who the most handsome actor is, I would have to select a dead one like Cary Grant or Clark Gable.  But Josh Turner is one who could easily turn me on if I let him!  Thank goodness he's married so I don't permit myself to think that way!



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Your Ad Here