Tuesday, August 30, 2011

This Day in History August 31,1897

Thomas Edison (right) demonstrating his kinetograph with the help of  George Eastman


So, I wonder how many of you even know what a kinetograph is.  I sure didn't!  I probably still don't, but I think this is an important day for those of who enjoy films.  I sure know I do!

Thomas Edison, an avid inventor, received a patent for his movie camera on this date in 1897.  It was called a kinetograph, and he had actually developed in the 1890's.  He had staged several demonstrations of this new machine already.

While still cameras and very primitive moving cameras had been around for some time, Edison's machine was quite different.  George Eastman invented celluloid film in 1889, and this was what Edison's kinetoscope and kinetegraph used.  His first demonstration was staged in front of a group of blacksmiths in 1893,  It was Edison's machine that inspired the development of the Cinematographe by French inventors.

There were really only two drawbacks to this machine.  First of all, there was no sound.  Well, that should not be too surprising.  It was not until 1927 that films were "talking" films.  (I learned that information on the movie "Singin' in the Rain.")  The second drawback was that only one person could view the picture at a time.  I think I could say that makes sense also.  I think it is very safe to say that had Edison not invented this, we wouldn't be able to see films today.

For more information,  check out these informative sites:




(I realize I am behind in my normal daily posting themes, but we had a family emergency today, and there has been incredible stress around here as of late.  I plan to get back on track tomorrow!)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Your Ad Here