Thursday, August 18, 2011

This Day in History August 19, 1977

I guess I was actually alive when this occurred, but I was only 3 at the time.  This is the date when Groucho Marx died in Los Angeles at the age of 86.

For those of you who do not know Groucho Marx or the Marx brothers, I feel you are missing out.  I don't remember how young I was when I discovered them, but I was not much older than my daughter is now.  Groucho Marx was never my favorite--even he "pushed the envelope."  I have been shocked to go back and see some of his old films and see what the censors did not catch!

Brief biography:  Julius Henry "Groucho" Marx was born October 2, 1890.  He had 4 brothers, and together they made up a comedy team that graced vaudeville, Broadway, and films.

In addition to his very successful films, he had a very well-respected radio and television game show called "You Bet Your Life."  His signature physical features were his mustache, eyebrows, and glasses.  He is best remembered for being an absolute master of wit.  He knew how to give out more insults in five minutes than most people could give in a lifetime.

If the below embedded video does not work, click here.








Websites used:
http://www.groucho-marx.com/
http://bcmoney-mobiletv.com/view/67/groucho-marx-hello-i-must-be-going/

1 comment:

  1. I think Groucho was the funniest of the Marx brothers. I didn't remember when he died. There's a good PBS documentary on the brothers.

    Have a great weekend!

    <><
    http://christiecottga.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Your Ad Here