Sunday, August 28, 2011

This Day in History August 29, 2005

Does this date sound familiar?  Or does this picture evoke any images or memories?  I doubt that anyone who is old enough to read my blog would not remember this day.  Especially when I tell you that this is an image of Hurricane Katrina.  On this date in 2005, this hurricane slammed the Gulf Coast, destroying beachfront areas of Louisiana and Mississippi.  One million people were displaced, and over 1000 people were killed.

I suppose this hits home now in light of Hurricane Irene.  However, Hurricane Katrina is considered the most destructive hurricane to hit the U.S.--at least economically.  Thankfully the loss of life was not as great as other storms.  The estimate is that this hurricane will cost 130 billion (I changed from what the site says because Fox News right now has reported this updated number).

I think this storm hits home with me because I was teaching in Texas at the time.  In Dallas.  I never would have dreamed that the little southwest Dallas school district in which I was would see so many students from this storm.  But Texas opened wide its doors to Katrina survivors, and I saw many of them come and go.  It was so hard to see that happen to these poor kids.  I do remember that at our church, we acquired a tremendous singer from New Orleans.  I believe he even made the decision to stay since he got a job at  New Orleans cuisine restaurant.

Let's pray that Hurricane Irene does not end up being worse than Katrina.  But only God knows.

Before ending tonight, I want to take a moment to thank each one of you who enjoy this segment and regularly come back for it.  When I began this segment, I thought I might be the only one who would enjoy it.  It means so much to realize that there are those of you who look forward to it. I got back late tonight and nearly did not write this post.  But because of the support and encouragement from my readers, I plan to continue it!

For more information, check out these sites:

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Your Ad Here