Tuesday, August 2, 2011

This Day in History August 3, 1492

I am beginning a new segment on my blog that is near and dear to my heart.  It is called This Day in History, and ideally, I would post this every day.  I am honestly not ready to make this commitment, but I would like to introduce it to my readers.  I love history, and when I was a classroom teacher, I always centered whatever I was teaching around history.  I enjoy being able to discover what happened on certain days and share the information with my readers.  I will be covering all genres, and in time, I really do hope that I will do this every day, but for now, here goes.

________________________________________________________________________________


On this day in 1492, Christopher Columbus left Spain.  
You can see his route on the above map.  He traveled for 10 weeks searching for that elusive path to India.  Instead, he landed in what we now call the Caribbean Islands and Central America.  As many of you know, he called the natives "Indians" since he believed he had found this passage to India. 

When I do these spotlights, I will normally have more information than this, but this is a beginning.  I will always list the sites where I found my information, and the pictures will be linked to their locations.

Sites to explore:


For more fun, watch this video:

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Your Ad Here