Friday, September 14, 2012

This Day in History September 14, 1741

By Georg Friedrich Händel ([1]) [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons

I know we usually think of this as a Christmas work, but truly that was not the intention.  On this date in 1741, George Frederic Handel completed his 24-day period of writing one of his most famous works--Messiah.  It was a 259-page composition recording the life of Jesus Christ.  April 13, 1742, was the first performance of this unbelievable work, and its premiere was in Dublin, Ireland.

Throughout my years of performing in choirs, I have sung many different portions of Messiah, and I have to admit I never grow tired of it.

For more information, please check out:
http://suite101.com/article/george-f-handels-messiah-a18866
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Messiah_(Handel)
http://famousdaily.com/history/handel-completes-messiah.html



Very much close to how it would have been performed back then.



I have to share this little bit of history.  You probably know that it is traditional to stand when Hallelujah Chorus is sung.  It all goes back to the King of England's response to this particular song when it was performed.  He stood, and because he stood, everyone else did.  It  was assumed and reported that he stood because he realized he was in the presence of the true King of kings and Lord of lords.  It is possibly assumed (and I tend to agree) that the kind may have stood because he thought the choir was singing about him!  Or maybe he was just tired of sitting??


1 comment:

  1. I would love to see this performed live! So cool! I love your posts they are always so informing!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Your Ad Here