Wednesday, September 22, 2010

30 Days of Insight Day 23

If you want to see the original challenge, click here.


Day 23- Most awkward first impression you feel you’ve ever given. 


Okay, I have only ever dated 2 guys in  my life, and I never made an awkward first impression on them.  I always made good impressions on potential employers.  Maybe I'll share this story.


You know about my friend from England, Martin.  He and I met online--we were both members of the Michael Crawford Fan Club, and  I placed a request for a pen pal.  He responded.  We began corresponding in January of 2002, and we didn't meet till Hallowe'en that year.  He and his mom came to Dallas, Texas  to visit.  


I got the address of  the hotel, and I put it into map  quest or something like that.  I thought I had  it figured out.  This was the first time I had ever driven on Texas interstates by myself, and I was also about 2-3 months pregnant at the time (yes, I was married, but honestly, we were just friends.  I made certain my then husband knew about everything.  He  had already emotionally divorced himself from me long before Martin came along.)


I began driving, and I hit  rush hour traffic.  I had told Martin  I would be there at around 5:30 or so.  I left about 4:00.  This was long before I had a GPS or a cell  phone.


I got so twisted around, it's not even funny.  I lost track of how many times I stopped  and  asked  people how to get  there.  I remember asking  people  all dressed up in costumes (since it was  Halloween.). It took me 3 hours to get there.  It should have taken an hour.  I can't think how many times I got mad at Martin although he wasn't there!


When I got out of the car, I remember collecting myself and wondering if Martin would still be waiting for me.  I knew I was late, and I was so tired of driving around.  I walked into the hotel and approached the desk.  I asked if there was a gentleman waiting in the lobby.  When the person at the desk asked what he looked like or who I  was,  I said the strangest thing I have ever said:  "I have never met him so I  am not entirely sure."  He pointed  out Martin who was standing over at the other door.  Amazingly, I walked up to him with confidence and when our eyes met, we knew we had met at long last.  It was somewhat awkward at first.  We had only e-mailed and talked on the phone.  


Although it was not a first impression, it was quite a meeting.  And here we are best friends (and really more) all these years later!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Your Ad Here