Sunday, September 4, 2011

First Day of School Survival Kit (sharing from Keep Life Creative)


As I was preparing to get my daughter into the back-to-school frame of mind, I stumbled upon a great idea.  Keeping Life Creative had a fantastic idea for making teacher survival kits.  Now when I used to teach, they generally did something like this for it, but it was pretty small.  What I loved about her idea was that it contained items a teacher would actually want.  And it actually had a theme.

Last week, my daughter went to Open House at school and met her new teacher.  I had already e-mailed the teacher, but I thought my daughter might really enjoy giving this to her new teacher.  So we went off to the store with the list provided on the site. I did make a couple changes.  My daughter wanted to get her teacher a coffee cup.  And then when I couldn't find Laffy Taffy, I substituted with some sour patch gummies and some good 'n' plenty.  I made up little captions to go with the new items--I think something about having good and plenty good times and for when the class has a sour note.  I put it in a gift bag and printed out her printable to decorate the bag.

When we presented it to the teacher, the teacher was blown away!  She went through and read everything on the paper, and she gave my daughter a hug.  And she e-mailed me on Thursday to say that she shared everything in faculty meeting the next day.  I would say I have gone a long way to fostering a good relationship with that teacher!

I have to admit that I have never done something like this at open house before, but I plan to do it in the future.  I am so glad I happened to find this post.  Thank you Keeping Life Creative!


1 comment:

  1. Oh that is so great,what a terrific gift idea, sounds like the teacher loved the personal touches with the notes and all... I used to make sure I always knew my children's teachers, I was a weekly classroom volunteer, and went on field trips when ever I could, its good for your child to have a involved parent.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Your Ad Here