Wednesday, September 7, 2011

This Day in History September 8, 1994

Anyone remember this operating system?  It was the first one I ever used, and I never really had a problem with it.  Well, on this day back in 1994, Microsoft changed the name of their upcoming operating system that was code-named "Chicago" to "Windows 95."  They had originally named it Chicago back in May of that year, and of course, it was released later on that year--I think I remember seeing it was in October.

How far things have come.  Now we have Windows 98, Windows XP, Windows ME, Windows Vista, and Windows 7 (amongst others, I'm sure).  The computer I am using now is running Vista.  I really don't have a problem with Vista, but it is not as good as XP (my desktop out in the office runs that) in my opinion  And my mom now has Windows 7, and she has run into problems with software not working on it.

I used to think Microsoft was the greatest.  I used to use Inernet Explorer without exception, and now I avoid it at all costs.  I prefer Chrome and Firefox.  And when I look at my blog stats, I see that I am not alone in that.  In my opinion, Microsoft should not have kept updating and updating because even though what they released was new, it didn't mean it was better.  Windows 95 was slow, but I never had trouble with it. In fact, I sometimes found it worked better than Windows 98.  And so far, Windows XP is tops for when it comes to Microsoft.

Okay, so I've been rambling.  I did find it interesting that today was such an auspicious day in technology history.  I believe Windows 95 was pretty ground-breaking, and here we are not even 20 years later!  Goodness, technology has changed fast!!

For more information, check out:

1 comment:

  1. I never used Windows 95. I used Windows 3.1 until it could no longer operate for internet use! LOL

    XP here. I know many people using Windows 7 and they have a multitude of problems with their other software.

    I am with you on Firefox

    Have a great day!


    <><
    http://christiecottage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Your Ad Here