Friday, September 9, 2011

This Day in History September 10, 1955

Okay, I know I did a television yesterday, too, and I could certainly have picked a lot of tragic things, but in light of the anniversary that will be coming this weekend, I thought it would be nice to keep it light again.  Anyone know what TV show premiered on this day in 1955?  The picture might help, but I remember seeing it in color, not black and white.  No, I was not around when it started, but I saw the reruns, and I hated it when I was really young!  It was the premiere of Gunsmoke. It starred James Arness, Milburn Stone, and Amanda Blake. Read on for a little history.

This show began on the radio in 1952.  The radio show actually lasted until 1961--same characters and setting, just different actors.  Three years into the radio show, it was decided that this show should come to television.  They considered bringing the radio cast to the television version, but it was not feasible.  The rumor was that John Wayne was the first choice for Marshall Matt Dillon, but even if that he was seriously considered, he was too big a film star to consider this show. He did suggest his protege, James Arness (who was 6'7").  During the first 6 seasons of this show, it aired for a half hour on CBS Saturday night at 10 P.M.  This show can be described as the first adult Western because it did not follow the traditions of Lone Ranger and other shows like that in vogue around this time.  It took a season or two to take off, but by the third season, it became America's top-rated  TV series (and kept that rating for the next four seasons!).

In 1961, Gunsmoke became an hour-long show.  By 1966, the show was declining in popularity due to various changes in some of the stars.  It was that same year that the show changed from black and white to color, but its popularity was still on the decline. It was announced that the eleventh season would be its final season, but smart decisions were made that saved it (moving to a different time slot, changes in the production staff, etc.).  Within three years, it had moved up to be the second most popular show in America. The show ended finally September 1, 1975 with a total of 633 episodes.  There were several Gunsmoke movies on TV from 1987 to 1994.  The show holds two records--longest-running Western and longest-running drama.

While I couldn't stand this show as I was growing up, I began to appreciate it and even enjoy it as I became an adolescent.  This was a common thing for me as I grew up. I often fought hard against any shows that my mom liked, but eventually they grew on me.  This is one of the only Westerns that I think I would sit down and watch even now.

Toby Keith immortalized this show in one of his early hits:

For more information, check out this site.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Your Ad Here