Tuesday, September 27, 2011

This Day in History September 28, 1968

Okay, I am not a big Beatles fan.  I like some of their earlier stuff, and I don't mind listening to them now and then.  But I am not really a fan.  I did decide that I would discuss them today in light of this day in history.  Ever heard their song Hey Jude?  Well, it was on this day in 1968 that Hey Jude went to number one in the U.S., and it stayed there for 9 weeks.

The history of this song is rather intriguing. It was in the year 1968 that John and Cynthia Lennon separated due to infidelity on John's part.  Paul McCartney drove out to visit Cynthia and John's son Julian out of true concern for their welfare.  Originally the song was called Hey Jules, and McCartney wrote it to try to cheer up Julian.  It was later changed to Hey Jude since it sounded better.  It is strange--many other people, including John Lennon--thought McCartney wrote the song for them.  I really don't think so, but I guess the controversy continues to keep the song alive.

As I read about the actual recording of the song, I discovered there is a lot to be told.  There is everything from alleged profanity (read the link at the bottom of the post with caution--there is a rude word) to large orchestra issues to Ringo almost missing the drum part of his recording.  I had know idea there was so much drama!

What strikes me about this song is that it goes on forever!!!  I don't mind the song, but when they get the endless parts at the end!  The song is seven minutes and eleven seconds long, and it is considered one of the few songs that long or longer that topped the charts and remained there.

There is much more to be written on this song, but if you are interested, check out the link.  (Note:  I do not generally use Wikipedia as a source unless it is well-documented like this article.  I also have found that Wikipedia is very accurate when it comes to modern music.  I don't know why, but for some reason people tend to get it right.)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Your Ad Here