Saturday, September 3, 2011

This Day in History September 4, 1618


Looking at this picture, you would never know what tragedy befell this place on this date in 1618.  This is the site of one of the 10 deadliest avalanches in history.  It was known as the "Rodi" avalanche, and it completely wiped out Purls, Switzerland.  There were no survivors.  There were four residents who were vacationing, and you can imagine their shock and horror when they returned to find all their friend, families, and homes gone.  The town itself had 1,500 inhabitants--all who died except four.  However, the full death toll was 2,427.  That would mean that people from surrounding areas must have been killed as well.  

I have never lived anywhere near avalanches.  I cannot imagine how terrifying it would be to essentially be buried alive. The worst thing I ever had happen to was a tree crashing through my roof.  That was scary enough, but I lived to tell about it.

For more information, check out these sites:




1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh! That has to be one of the worst ways to go. What a sad tragedy. Can I have your permission to copy this post for my facebook?
    mamabunny13 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Your Ad Here