Friday, September 2, 2011

This Day in History September 3, 1955


I thought this would be a nice change for this day in history today.  Those of you who have followed me for a while know that I love music--I am a certified music teacher--and that I lived in Texas for quite some time.  So when I learned that on this day in 1955 that Mitch Miller had the number one song The Yellow Rose of Texas, I knew that this was what I would share about today.

The song The Yellow Rose of Texas was actually written in 1853.  The history is somewhat sketchy at best, but here is what seems to be the story.  Emily West, a free black teenager, arrived in the wilderness of Texas in 1835.  She worked for Colonel James Morgan as an indentured servant.  When Santa Anna came through the area, he took her as his "wife."  Supposedly, it was because of his activities with her that led to his capture by Sam Houston.  It is said that the true love of her life from whom she was separated wrote this song for her.  


This is Mitch Miller (who died just last year at the age of 99), and he is best-remembered as a record executive and sing-along host.  He was one of the early pioneers who brought country music into pop music (and here we thought that was a new idea!).  It was on this day in 1955 that his band's rendition of The Yellow Rose of Texas went to #1, and I remember reading that it was at #1 for 6 weeks.  Not bad for an old song!



For more information, please check out the following links:


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Your Ad Here