Monday, May 14, 2012

This Day in History May 15, 1928



Well, I got my information corrected tonight.  Here I thought Steamboat Willie was the first Mickey Mouse cartoon.  I was sure wrong.  That was the first talking MM cartoon.  It was on this date in 1928 that Mickey Mouse truly made his debut in a silent cartoon called Plane Crazy.  But it was not widely distributed.  It was screened by an audience, and the studio decided it needed a soundtrack.  So it actually became the third one widely released, and Willie became the first one widely distributed.

I'm sure you guys know this, but Walt Disney was the original voice of Mickey Mouse.  And I'm sure you also know that Walt Disney was not a good student in school.  I guess I always try to remember as a teacher that the kid that is acting up or not really paying attention in school may be the next great so-and-so.

I will tell you honestly that I never have been a Mickey Mouse fan, especially the classic ones.  In fact, I never got into all those characters that much.  Sounds strange, I know.  The only time I liked Mickey was in Mickey's Christmas Carol.  I remember listening to the record album way back when.  It was my introduction to Ebenezer Scrooge.  I memorized the album before I ever got a chance to watch the movie.  And here I am rambling.  That probably is a sign of my age.  In less than a month, I'll be 38, and that is just a stone's throw from 40.  But enough of that.

For lots more information, check out:
http://www.bcdb.com/cartoon_info/3821-Plane_Crazy.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plane_Crazy

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Your Ad Here