Wednesday, May 23, 2012

This Day in History May 23, 1430

When I was a child, I was fascinated by Joan of Arc.  I remember reading lots of books about her, and I saw a couple of movies.  Mark Twain's book about her was one of his finest.  I don't even remember where I heard of her or why she fascinated me so.  It was probably her strong faith and her tragic death at such a young age.

I was fascinated to discover that on this date in 1430, Joan of Arc was captured by the Burgundians who later sold her to the English which later led to her death.  I realize that there is a lot in her life that sounds suspicious or very strange, but I believe quite strongly that no one could have faced death the way she did if she had not truly known God.  I understand that some of what she believed seems rather foreign to us, but when you take into account that she was uneducated and illiterate, perhaps some of what she said makes a little more sense.  And I think her last words as she perished in the flames tell us a lot.  She cried out, "Jesus!"    I believe quite strongly that she found rest in His arms as she passed from this earth.

For more information, please check out:
http://www.maidofheaven.com/joanofarc_long_biography.asp
http://www.french-at-a-touch.com/French_History/saint_joan_of_arc_iii.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joan_of_arc

1 comment:

  1. I loved Mark Twain's biography of her, also. She's very inspiring.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Your Ad Here