Thursday, August 26, 2010

Booking Through Thursday (Giving Up)





This is a weekly segment hosted by Booking Through Thursday.

If you’re not enjoying a book, will you stop mid-way? Or do you push through to the end? What makes you decide to stop?






Definitely--if I am not enjoying a book, or worse still, if I am offended, I will stop.  I have made myself read books that I didn't particularly enjoy because I knew that I was doing it for a purpose.  Or sometimes I will continue to read a book because I am so interested in the story line.  I remember having to read books in high school that did offend me, but they were required for the course.


These are the reasons I will stop:


1.  Repeated profanity--especially when it is not necessary.  Some authors put in profanity just because.  That bothers me, I must say.


2.  Blatant homosexuality.   Yes, I have read some books where this was a part of the story.  I have nothing against those people, but I do not agree with their lifestyle. If it is in the book and is not described in great detail, I can usually stomach it.  However, I do not ever condone it nor look forward to it in books.


3.  Gruesome scenes.  I have no problem with violence and murder in books.  But I do not need a detailed description that does not advance the story.


4.  The occult.  This is something that will cause me to immediately stop reading and not even pick up the book again.  This goes against all that I hold sacred, and unless it is not a major part of the story, I cannot and will not read it.


5.  Overly descriptive bedroom scenes.  I steer clear of romance novels that have an overabundance of this.  I have never had to stop reading because of this.  But if half the book was spent in the bedroom, I would be gravely disappointed and stop reading.


That's probably more than you wanted to know.  Feel free to disagree with me.  Yes, I may stop if I'm bored, but I don't usually give a book too long before I lose interest.  I don't ever want to see reading as a chore.  For me, it's the offensive nature of books that greatly concerns me.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Your Ad Here