Wednesday, May 9, 2012

This Day in History May 10, 1924

This is an interesting one for today, I think.  Anyone recognize this picture?  Okay, I didn't either.  It was on this date in 1924 that J. Edgar Hoover was appointed the sixth director of the FBI.  Indeed Hoover left quite a legacy in spite of any murkiness he brought to the office.  He worked as the head of the FBI until his death on May 2, 1972.

It's funny.  Do you know how  I knew about him as I was growing up?  I was a huge Annie fan.  You know, the movie based on the comic Little Orphan Annie.  In the Depression Era story, they consult J. Edgar Hoover when little Annie goes missing.  That was the first time I heard of him.  And I knew nothing about him other than the fact he was the head of the FBI for so long.

I'm not going to comment on his career.  I have not studied his career at all.  So I will leave all those comments to others.  But if you would like to check out some info about him, check out these sites:
http://www.biography.com/people/j-edgar-hoover-9343398
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._Edgar_Hoover

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Your Ad Here