Wednesday, November 23, 2011

The Slice Safety Cutter Review



Perhaps you have heard of the Slice Safety Cutter, but I have to admit that before I received this product, I really did not know about it.  I liked the premise behind it:

The Slice™ Safety Cutter is the most versatile tool you'll ever own. Features a finger-friendly microscopic ceramic blade that's quick, easy and a safe substitute for scissors. Perfect for scrap-booking, clipping recipes, coupons and news articles, removing shrink-wrap, opening CDs, DVDs, and plastic packaging, and more. Includes a built-in magnet and key-ring hole.
- Ceramic blade lasts longer than steel
- Stays sharp and never rusts
- Built-in magnet and key-ring hole
- Finger-Friendly™ Design
- For left- and right-handers
What first intrigued me was the fact that it is useful for clipping coupons.  I am not a big coupon shopper, but we often print coupons off the computer, and I never enjoy having to cut them out. I was also interested in using it to open CD and DVD packages--I really hate doing that!
When this first arrived, I have to admit that I wasn't too keen on it.  It seemed that when I used it to open packages, it just did not cut through tape or plastic like I thought it would.  I had to press so hard in order to use it--or at least it seemed that way.  I tried to get my mom to use it on her scrapbooking, and she she said she did not have the strength to hold it.  I was afraid I was going to be giving this product a somewhat negative review, and I was kind of dreading it.
Amazingly, I went to use it a few days ago--as a last-ditch effort to give it a semi-positive review.  And suddenly, I realized that I had been holding the cutter incorrectly.  The little blade is almost indistinguishable, and I was not holding the tool at the correct angle.  When I changed the angle just slightly, voila!  The slicer worked perfectly on paper, coupons, and even plastic.  I would not recommend using this on really thick cardboard or plastic--you really have to push hard to make this little cutter work on thick things like that.  But if held correctly, this little tool is invaluable!
As I was looking over the benefits, I noticed that the design is such that you can take the product with you very easily.  It has a hole that easily attaches to a key ring, and it is definitely the right size to go with you!  You can clip your coupons in the store or instantly open any packages you may buy at the store.  You know what packages I am talking about--the ones that are child-proof and/or completely encased in plastic wrap that your fingers just cannot open easily.
My daughter has not had a chance to use this, but she is definitely at an age that this would be beneficial. I am not saying she could not get cut.  She is a curious 8-year-old, and chances are she would be fascinated with the blade.  But she could get less cut with the Slice than a pocketknife.  
In short, this tool is an ideal mutli-task tool for cutting paper, coupons, and much more.  I do recommend doing what I finally did--experimenting with holding and using the Slice. You may have to apply more pressure in some instances than you think you might have to, but I think that most people will be able to do this.  I think you will find this a tool that will use for a myriad of projects and tasks with excellent results.
I received one or more of the products mentioned above for free using Tomoson.com. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Your Ad Here