Tuesday, November 1, 2011

This Day in History November 2, 1889


Well, what a momentous day.  On this day in 1889, North Dakota and South Dakota became the 39th and 40th state.  I find this pretty amazing. I never thought two states would enter our union in one day.  Before 1803, the Dakotas were practically nonexistent except for fur-trapping.  The Lewis and Clark Expedition first explored it in 1804.

As you can imagine, the Dakota territory quickly increased in population, and a division occurred so that a petition for statehood could be made.  And it was February 22, 1889.  Although Cleveland was president at this time, it was his successor, Harrison, that signed the bills into law, thus making the territories states.




I have been to South Dakota--Mt. Rushmore, Custer State Park, Wall Drug (so fun!).  I cannot remember right now if I have been to North Dakota.  I may have been, but I  really can't even recall driving through it.

So what about you?  Any memories about either of these states?  Maybe you live in one of these states.  Have a big celebration today if you do!

For more information, check out these sites:

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Your Ad Here