Monday, February 6, 2012

Music Monday--Les Miserables the Movie!

I heard about this a few weeks ago, and then our power went out, and then I wasn't sure if I wanted to post it, and then...you get the idea.  Welcome to Music Monday.  I am finally back, and I plan to do this every Monday again if I can.

Have you heard that Les Miserables is coming to the big screen?  I have only ever seen the televised concert version.  The only time that I could have seen it, I happened to have the opportunity to go to England instead (where I saw Mamma Mia--not bad, eh?).

The plans are to begin filming the production officially next month, and it is scheduled to be out on December 7 of this year.  Evidently, this event has been 25 years in the making.  Tom Hooper (the director of The King's Speech--I loved that film!) is assembling a star-studded cast, so hopefully the stars will bring in the crowds.  If you know anything about modern movie musicals, they do not traditionally do very well.

Broadway.com has done a fantastic job of covering this event and featuring the musical experience of each star.  I will do that briefly here.

Hugh Jackman is slated to plan Jean Valjean, the main role.  He is not known for musicals in this country, but I was surprised to find that he has quite a bit of music theater experience:


Russell Crowe is supposed to play Javert, the somewhat villain.  He does not have to sing as well as Valjean, but he has to be very dramatic.  I will link you to the video because I am not sure it is entirely appropriate for my blog:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5a2Jr6yIpaM&feature=player_embedded

Anne Hathaway is one of my favorite actresses though I do not like everything she stars in.  I did not know she could sing--she is not known for such.  But judge for yourself.  She is supposed to play Fantine, and here is a parody she sang:


My personal favorite, Taylor Swift.  She will be playing Eponine, and I have to admit I am not sold yet.


For the rest of the cast, check out the post here.

The real question is--will I go?  Of course!  Even if it proves to be horrid in the extreme.  The question the studio has is, of course, will the people come?  I hope so!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Your Ad Here