Thursday, February 2, 2012

This Day in History February 3, 1959

When I saw what happened on this day, I knew I had to cover this.  I have not been doing my Music Monday posts this year--I plan to get back into that--but this is a story that touches me.  I always told this story with a great deal of sadness in my music classes.






These three men featured in these videos--the Big Bopper, Ritchie Valens, and Buddy Holly were tragically killed in an airplane crash on this date in 1959.  They were on tour, and these three got the honor of flying on the airplane.  The bus tour had been very uncomfortable, and the chartered plan was supposed to be better.

Although the weather was not the greatest, it was not a blizzard when they took off early that fateful morning. The plane crashed shortly after take-off.  It was mainly pilot error since the pilot was not even a certified pilot as of yet.  Of course, the pilot died as well.  It was death on impact.

Indeed it was a tragedy, and I am only using this site as my resource since I have taught about this story several times.  It has just been a few years since I have, so I am trying to refresh my memory.

I will end with a song that immortalized "The Day the Music Died."

3 comments:

  1. This day in history I pray will go down as a day music of revival was rebirthed in this country. Wouldn't that be awesome if they looked back 20, 30, 50 years from now and saw the turning point of this great nation back to seeking the face of their Lord and Savior--an event that joined it's spark to worldwide revival! :D

    God bless you,
    Chana Keefer--author of THE FALL (Rapha Chronicles, #1)
    www.chanakeefer.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Your Ad Here