Saturday, February 25, 2012

This Day in History February 26, 1998

Okay, I admit it.  I used to have no life whatsoever, and I watched Oprah.  Yes, I did.  I actually enjoyed her show.  Crazy, isn't it?  And I remember this extremely well.

I watched the original show where Mad Cow Disease and the possibility that U.S. beef had this disease were discussed.  I was horrified to discover that cattle were fed heated manure mixed with their regular feed.  I don't really remember Oprah saying that she stopped eating hamburgers because of the show, but I guess she did.

And the Texas cattlemen sued her.  I couldn't believe it!  Give me a break.  The price of beef went down all because of Oprah?  And now she was guilty of defamation?  I remember that she moved her show to Texas, and since we were going to be moving to Texas, I watched those shows religiously.

When the verdict came down, and the jury ruled in Oprah's favor, I was so excited for her!  As she said:  "Free speech rocks!"  This is one time when I think the court system actually worked correctly.  I guess is helped that she was able to get the best legal counsel, but it makes no difference in my opinion.  The lawsuite was ridiculous, and even though I am no longer and Oprah fan, I still am glad she won.

Here is some more information, if you are interested:
http://edition.cnn.com/US/9802/26/oprah.verdict/
http://www.examiner.com/today-history-in-national/today-history-february-26-oprah-beat-cattlemen-jesse-jackson-said-hymies

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Your Ad Here