Monday, December 5, 2011

This Day in History December 6, 1917


It seems that we are on a roll--more "jolly" news.  But I thought this one might be of interest to those of you in Canada--I know I have several of you who follow me.  And I am sure there are WWI buffs out there, too.  So read on!

On this date in 1917, the largest, accidental man-made explosion occurred in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada. This was at the height of WWI, and completely happened as a result of human error.  Involved in the explosion were a Belgian relief vessel called the Imo and the French munitions ship (that was fully loaded) Mont Blanc.  

At about 8:45 A.M. that morning, the collision occurred, and within ten minutes, the French ship caught fire.  It exploded about 25 minutes later, and unfortunately because the collision occurred in the narrowest part of Halifax Harbor, you can imagine the devastation that occurred.  Or maybe you cannot.  Read on.

Almost immediately, 1900 people were killed.  The buildings were engulfed in fire, and even a tidal wave was created.  Around 325 acres of Halifax were destroyed, and around 9000 people were injured--many permanently.  Around 200 were blinding by flying glass.  And eventually the death toll reached around 2000. The population was only about 50,000 to begin with.  Talk about a tragedy!

I could go on and on about the aftermath of the explosion, but I would rather send you to these informative links:

You know, I really need to find some inspiring stuff for tomorrow.  I am really tired of reporting disasters!  I cannot imagine the horror that must have overtaken this area.  Perhaps for those who died instantly, I can only hope that death truly was instantaneous.  If I have to die a violent death, I hope it is quick!  I feel for those who were permanently injured only because they were in the wrong place at the wrong time.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Your Ad Here