Wednesday, December 5, 2012

This Day in History December t5, 1492


You just might be able to guess that today's feature concerns a certain well-known European explorer.  That's right.  On this date in 1492, Christopher Columbus became the first European to set foot on what we now call Hispaniola.  Christopher Columbus is someone about whom I was taught fantastic, romanticized things as I grew up, but I have since picked up on the fact that he was not the nice man I thought him to be.  I have not studied him extensively, but it would seem that he did not treat the native peoples honorably.  He is someone whom I would like to study in greater depth at some point in my life.  I do suppose I have him to thank--at least, to a degree-tfor my living in the U.S.

For more information:
http://pbsthisdayinhistory.tumblr.com/post/13784360718/december-5-columbus-discovers-hispaniola-1492
http://www.glencoe.com/qe/qe98columbus.php?qi=3983

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Your Ad Here